Followers

Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Shopping Excess

After the holiday glow had worn off, inevitably the letdown began.  It was still raining in Southern Cal and although this occurrence was a welcomed rarity in our drought-ridden areas, the gloomy weather definitely brought on an attack of the Rainy-Days-and-Mondays blues for me.  For lack of other hobbies, I've found there's nothing like a little retail therapy to lift a girl's mood. :)

In past years, it's been my routine to let the kids sleep in after the Christmas hubbub and sneak out alone to the mall for a 4-6 hour wander fest.  Shopping right after Christmas is as delicious and satisfying as having apres-ski hot chocolate... plus it's addicting!  Without the pressure of having to come up with the perfect gifts on deadline, it's possible to browse leisurely with an eye for bargains and that's much more fun. 

We've almost completely settled in our new home and I didn't really have much to shop for in terms of housewares or furniture.  As the kids go, since Audrey has traditionally gotten the biggest slice of pie from the family's clothing budget (mostly because she's so easy to buy for and an equal-opportunity dresser who makes use of everything given to her, from a Target T-shirt to more high-end items), I decided to focus on Andrea this time.  Her sparse closet was practically shouting out for attention, plus I figured it's high time to prepare for her going away to college (we're still undecided about where she'll go or what she'll study, but if she had her way, it'd probably be out of state).

Just two weeks before the holidays, I was shopping for well-priced blankets and throws to donate to transitional shelters and found several nice designs at Kohls.com, which I already thought were great bargains at just above $10 each.  While idly browsing online the day after Christmas, I stumbled across a 75% additional off sale of all close-out items at a linen outlet where I bought this 412 thread count comforter for Andrea's dorm use:


Private Essentials Collection bedding in Aqua
(their Twin XL comforter was only $10.48 when I got it!)


The same comforter is available in other colors shown below (I like Sea Green best).  I've purchased from linensource.com several times before and never been disappointed with their Private Essentials bedding, although the same thing could not be said for other brands sold on their site.




Then there's the matter of Andrea's wardrobe!  Comfort is key for her so I've always gravitated towards flannel sleepwear except for the fact that this type of fabric generally looks wrinkled and well-worn before its time.  That's why I hesitated when I saw these boy-cut pajama pants on sale after Christmas at Abercrombie & Fitch.  Their whimsical moose print was terribly cute and they also had other more conventional tartan plaid and floral patterns in pretty colors, but I decided to test out these pairs in the laundry first.  Fortunately, they held up very well through the washer and dryer so I'm definitely coming back for more.


"Arielle" pajama pants in red, $17.40 at Abercrombie & Fitch


"Arielle" pajama pants in blue


For the first time in her 17 years, I was able to get Andrea to wear a handbag... my after-Christmas present for her!  She actually took it on a trip to L.A. on December 31st with her sisters and their cousin, Steven.  In the past Andrea had always walked out the door with a few dollar bills tucked into her jeans' pockets.  I knew she would not wear a girly handbag... ditto for purses with designer logos, funky hardware, or trendy designs... but I've never been able to zero in on an understated style that she liked.  This cross-body purse is small enough to suit Andrea's petite frame, came in two gender-neutral colors (black and nutmeg) as well as other fashion colors that she'd never touch, and looks unfussy enough to be in keeping with her minimalist tendency.  For whatever reason, the 50% off price tag at the store did not show up online, and I ended up having to make a second trip to Macy's to purchase my second handbag in black.  I just couldn't resist because with my 20% off coupon, the price came down to just under $23.  Plus I'll probably never duplicate my feat of getting Andrea to feel halfway excited about a fashion accessory!


Nine West Emily small cross-body purse


I also scored a great purchase for my sister Terra... this one will be saved until Christmas next year since our family has decided to get the item on Terra's wish list for her birthday in January.


Tignanello multi-pocket backpack in Glam Red


I think Terra would prefer the above design, but in a more "quiet" color like the one below:


Tignanello organizer backpack in British Tan




No comments: