Followers

Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Day of Judgment

May 21, 2011

My uncle Minh asked each member in our extended family's Yahoo! Group to give our thoughts on the Judgment Day brouhaha and share what we'd be doing today in anticipation.  Answers included, among others, "Going to tennis court" and, "Do what you'd do with your family. This evening, my mom, my sister & her 2 kids, I & my 3's, we'll go see a funny Vietnamese movie, "Battle of the Brides", so if the End comes @ 6pm, we'd be together forever and laughing all the way to Eternity."  Mine is as follows:

Hi Uncle Minh!

I'm assuming you meant what I would do if I knew today were my last day on Earth... the "judgment" bit is too farfetched for a heathen mind like mine to contemplate. :)

Being a practical person, the first thought that crossed my mind was, "I've got to update my will and estate planning instructions." This task is long overdue!

Second would be to tell my children I love them and let them know how happy & grateful I am that the way my life's turned out had allowed me to spend most of my waking moments with them.

Third is to impart the lessons I'd gathered from the commencement addresses given at Andrea's Irvine Valley College graduation exercise yesterday, loosely excerpted below:

From IVC's guest speaker, a noted author and journalist:

"Talent is only one of the factors that contribute to success. The more important factor is determination. The difference between the person you aspire to be at age 17 and the person you resign yourself to being at middle age is only 10 hours a week. Do what you need to keep the machinery of life running... work a regular job to take care of your family and all the rest... but don't stop there. Find an extra 10 hours a week to devote to your passion with sustained effort and a clear focus. That will make the difference between your becoming a published author and someone who constantly gripes about being unfulfilled in his day job, but feels powerless to get out of his rut."

From the graduating class' salutatorian, who was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome and Crohn's disease at a young age, and who attended a school for the learning disabled through middle and high school, but has overcome his intellectual and physical limitations to excel in community college, resulting in his gaining acceptance at Berkeley in the fall:

"It is entirely ironic that I'm actually standing here today delivering your commencement address. I grew up a socially awkward child with a speech impediment and a fear of speaking so severe I had to literally rely on my mom to be my mouthpiece all through my childhood. As such, I came to Irvine Valley College mainly to learn to communicate, but ended up finding my own voice! Each of you also has a voice... whether it's your own special ability, or your willingness to provide the support that allows someone close to you to shine with his talent. Find that voice, believe in it, and contribute to the world in your unique way!"

*****

Since I know the world won't end anytime soon, I'm going out to dinner with our family to celebrate my dad's birthday. :)

Have a lovely day!

Tifo


 Andrea and me after the festivities

No comments: